May 28, 2008

Learning

New to my job -- a new position in my organization -- everyday I am learning something that creates a new set of possibilities for my job. It is so very new that every day I have the opportunity to rewrite the story of what my job entails. This is exciting to me. As a teacher, I am leading our organization into a new paradigm of doing business and I am learning that I can rise to the challenge and do my best work everyday (although, I clearly recognize that my best is different each and every day).

One interesting aspect of my job is that I must encourage "experts" to become comfortable with the notion that expertise requires the ability to learn, adapt, and sometimes change the way they do business. Every day I see different examples of people embracing change, ignoring change, being fearful of change. I must adapt my approach to encourage them to do their best work possible.

It is my job to ensure that our staff, consultants and contractors accept life as it is, be fully present, and embrace the full realm of possibilities that lie in the very near future.

It is my job to turn "The rules keep me from doing [this]," into "Tell me what you can do." It is my job to help them rewrite their stories.

These weeks, exasperating, exhausting, intense, and unknown...

Infinitely fascinating. Infinite potential.

No comments: