May 27, 2008

Good Work

I remember the day I told Dad that I was going to quit my job waiting tables to take a job working in an art gallery.  He asked, "Why would you do that when you can make more money waiting tables?"  "Because I enjoy it more."


Today was a busy and strange day at work..."herding cats" as I like to call it.  At the same time, people were very complimentary about my presence there and I feel like a valued and skilled member of our team.  I know I am doing good work -- probably the best work that my skills can bring to bear -- and I am honored to have the opportunity to do this work.

I enjoy the work; I enjoy the people.  

Dr. Jim Stith, my advisor in grad school, would say, "When you don't enjoy your work, it's time to do something else."  He was so right.   Work cannot be my whole life, but it is so important that I have purposeful joy in my work.  I feel so fortunate to have the job I have and to work with the people I do...talented, dedicated and an inspiration. 

No comments: