May 15, 2008

Impressions

This morning it was really chilly when I went in to work. I was wishing I had worn a pair of gloves...which got me thinking about gloves in general. My dog walking gloves are all a casual comfortable knit or thinsulate; my dress gloves are leather with cashmere lining. Gloves, like shoes, say alot about the person who wears them.

About 10 years ago, I was teaching at Ohio State. Pleasant to everyone, I knew all of the staff who worked daily in the physics department. I was unaware of my loss, but one winter afternoon our custodian chased me down while I was on my way to teaching and said, "Miss, I found this glove and it looks like something you would wear." Dark green leather...it was mine. It must have fallen out of my pocket earlier that morning. There was something in our interaction that he simply knew it was mine.

Given the events in my last couple of years, good and bad, I am honored that people can identify my gloves. I am glad to be seen as I am...whatever that means.

I hope I return the favor to those around me.

No comments: