June 5, 2008

Authenticity

This year I decided to let my hair go grey. Having colored my hair for a long time, I have been working on letting it get back to its natural color and have enjoyed it. So, my temples are white and there are silvery flecks throughout my head. Liking it very much myself, I asked Jack, "Do you like it?" He really does. When I queried him as to why, he answered that it seemed very authentic.

Funny thing about authenticity...it doesn't necessitate being natural, but it does necessitate being truthful. So, all of the years I colored my hair because it was fun were years in which I was being authentic. Now that I am ready for something different, it is also authentic. It is just that I am feeling grounded, earthy, and slightly wizened...I've earned these greys and wear them proudly.

Today I was reminded of authenticity while out buying some soap at Whole Foods. I saw a very well-dressed woman wearing a skirt suit with heels. I noticed that she was very well manicured, and yet rather homely. As I looked at her, I realized she was a male. She was striking in her authenticity.  I then remembered talking with Michael some years ago about respecting a person's choice to present themselves as they prefer -- as they feel most real -- even if it seems pure fantasy.

Authentic does not mean natural; natural does not mean authentic.

Authenticity honors truth, regardless of how impermanent that truth may be.

No comments: