August 16, 2008

The Growl of a Predator

I've been following Leroy Sievers' blog My Cancer for over a year now. By the time I started getting the feeds, he'd outlived the prognosis of his stage four cancer for over two years. He had rallied and regained strength and the cancer had come back in strange and unpredictable ways that had limited and sometimes bizarre treatment options. Today I awoke to a rare Saturday post. I held my breath and read that he died last night.

Leroy was a journalist and had traveled to some of the most dangerous and lifeforsaken places in the world. He was adventuresome and curious; smart and boyish. I enjoyed getting to know him. He considered his work toward health a battle, and used all of the typical war metaphors describing his illness. I wish that we had better language to capture struggle against illness...perhaps it's just life, but that is a subject for another day. Today I honor his battle and that of those who loved him.

I am moved by the strength of a man who last posted two days ago and his wife Laurie who lately posted more often than he. Moved by their love, moved by their fear, moved by their courage, moved by their vulnerability, moved by their humility.

I don't know them, but through this blogosphere, feel connected. In honor of that life and of that blogosphere, I share Laurie's post from yesterday.

August 15, 2008

The Growl Of A Predator

[Laurie Singer sent us this post. Leroy is planning to be back next week].
On any normal day, this would just be a really bad thunderstorm rumbling its way across the summer sky.
But it's not a normal day and the rumbling is more like the growl of a predator stalking its prey.
Leroy's cancer is making its move.
I guess we all knew this day would come. The day when his doctor would say the medicine needs to be stronger.
The day when I would need to be stronger still.
The thunderstorm has passed, but I can still hear the growl.
-- Laurie

No comments: