August 20, 2008

Waay tooo looong

Funny [sic] what it sometimes takes to knock sense into me.

Last night I participated in a rather disturbing conversation regarding the loss of my job just over two years ago. Went to bed upset, awoke upset, drove upset, participated in a charrette...yeah, you got it...upset.

But the state of my mood (or maybe just the act of putting words to my frustration) seems to have had a positive effect. I did get up at 4:45 am and not dawdle out of the house. I did get to the place I needed to be. I did eat healthfully all day long. I did come home and fix a meal rather than snack. I did go for a run. I did not drink any wine (though there's still time). ; )

Snuck it in there... you read it...YES -- I DID GO FOR A RUN. A mile and a half. Outside. For the first time in over two years (and I cannot actually remember how long but at least that long) I went for a run. My firing, the back injury, the death, the move (okay, all four moves), the house, the job...the excuses.

Today for the first time in over 28 years I didn't have the steam to run 2 or more miles. I could feel my flabby gut, chin, neck, face, biceps, hamstrings jiggling down the road for a nice, slow 15 minutes. I could feel my breath out of sink, my heart beating in my chest, my aches and pains...I could see the blurriness from the early stages of my cataracts.

As I ran by people half my age...I wondered: Do they know? Do they know how old I am (not)? Do they see me move slowly, but with good form? Do they wonder how I got in such shape or do they think I'm finally starting to exercise later in life? Do they know?

Do I know?

Do I feel more like myself? Absolutely. One mile at a time.

(Gratitude for these lightly used Asics)

No comments: