August 18, 2008

My GreenSpot


This past Friday I received my window sticker from the City of Columbus, designating my home as a Columbus GreenSpot. I immediately and proudly displayed the sticker on my side window where passersby can readily see it. I spent the evening working on the house and garden and was pleased to find myself finally feeling that I genuinely have a home; that it is genuinely mine. My colors, my furniture, my animals, my friends, my love. A house filled with life, love, color and beauty...

Then on Saturday, Jack and I were sitting on the back porch when my neighbor stopped over with a bag of goodies freshly picked from his garden...grapes (yes, the old-fashioned kind with seeds), tomatoes, and peaches. My neighbors are friendly, helpful and kind. It is a good place to live. When I think of neighbors, I will always remember the kindness and generosity of spirit of my Cleveland neighbors who were there for me when my husband died; who provided friendship and company in the long days of learning how to move forward into whatever would be next.

Through everything I am grateful. In so many ways, I know I have found home.

No comments: