June 9, 2008

$14,017.06

Fourteen thousand seventeen dollars and six cents...

That's the judgment (including interest and attorney fees) against me as offered by the Commonwealth of Alexandria for "breach of lease."

It's the financial cost of my decision not to move to DC; the cost of my living split in two places and not keeping up with my mail well enough to know I needed to appear in court; the cost of closing the painful business of last year. It is the last bit of unreasonable dealings with people who sink to their most base behavior when there is an opportunity to make a little cash. In the scheme of things, it's really very little cash. I know that for the rest of their lives, every time they spend a penny, the gentlemen who successfully sued me will think of me and how they took advantage of me at the lowest point of my life.

Funny thing about that cost...it feels more like freedom.

I will send that check with only gratitude.

2 comments:

Madeline2000 said...

Unbelievable!

Well, at least its over. No more concern about DC.

Still, the nerve!

Elaine said...

Well, the thing is that I got the certified letter (in Cleveland) from the court the same day that I got evicted from my apt (in Columbus) - AND - two days before the court date (in Alexandria).

Aside from the loss of $$, everything worked out for the best. Today, though, I just feel exhausted.