April 3, 2010

Meet Me in the Forest

First step in adjusting to this new world: get out into nature.  So, yesterday afternoon, I went out to Mohican State Park to spend a few hours in nature.

I felt this tired and embarrassingly little-used body begin to spring back to life...a new shape taking form in the old.  I felt the earth beneath my feet and the urge to walk to the end of what civilization and bask in everything it means to feel human.

My greying hair blowing in the breeze, longer than it has been in years; the smell of pines around me.  I laid down in a secluded part of the woods and began to feel renewed.

You remember that feeling when you were a teenager, finally escaping from the confines of your world, stepping out into the woods...brave, unsupervised; naive and sweet.  I felt alot like that, but still carried the wisdom and experiences of these nearly 44 years.  Lying  in the grass, considering every opportunity, every adventure, every experience I want for my life.

I felt peace, stillness and the infinite possibilities that the future brings.

No comments: