September 16, 2008

Short Happy Life...

Something about the Republican Presidential Ticket got me thinking of the Hemingway short story "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber." Acclaimed for its ambiguous brutality, this story of innate violence affected me so strongly that I could no longer read Hemingway.

It simply captured the ugliest tendencies in human nature; it was beautifully written and affirmed to me that WE as a species may not be fit to survive here; it made me question modern life and all of its extravagant outrages. This story captured our tendency toward appropriating everything in our sites as though it was ours to own.

It captured the sense of entitlement that we often display that may, in the end, be our very demise.

Mrs. Palin, I implore you: Put down your gun.

No comments: