July 18, 2008

Aging...gracefully!?!

I had a meditation last year where, after a very long time, I saw my true self again. I looked at myself and I thought, "Yeah, this woman that was nicknamed Gaia in grad school needs to come back out and play." The hiker, the strong, natural woman.

So I decided that I wanted to let me hair go grey.

It's going. I really like it.

I feel like if I'm moving along the path of the vision and feel of that woman, I'm doing the right thing.

Two nights ago I had an eye appointment. Here I am, the widow...perimenopausal...on my period...having the love of my life...and I hear:

"Your optic nerve looks good, your retinas look great (but see me if you get any sign of detachment right away), your vitreal gel looks good...and you have the very beginnings of cataracts. The good news is that if they have to replace your lens, they can correct your vision."

And I think: How did I get 20 years older than I am. I thought I was 42...not 62.

Nonetheless, it went a long way to explaining the nightblindness in a way I can live with.

1 comment:

Jack said...

And as luck would have it, we are not our bodies : )