May 6, 2010

Zenn

Billy Zenn used to be known as Billy Bragg.  Actually, that *is* his name.  I've known him for a while here in Columbus.  Decades.   Bill's wife is Vicky and she's an actress...I've seen her perform in Shakespeare in the park innumerable times.

The last time I saw Billy before tonight was October 13th.  I said, "Come to my house for my soup party...celebrating my husband's life...bring a guitar and Vicky and your friends and join us."  That was at the open mike night at the Thirsty Ear.  One of the city's best and most well known musicians, Billy ran the open mike night.  I told him I'd bring the address for him on the 20th.  I went to the Thirsty Ear that evening and found Billy had a heart attack and heart surgery that day.

I didn't want to pry...hadn't seen him in a long time...I kept going to the Thirsty Ear and when they re-instituted the open mike night, well, it was less than stellar and no sign of Bill.

Uh-oh.

Holding my breath...

Then, I hear, "He's running open mike at a different place -- right down the street from you."  "No shit; that's wonderful."

So I walk to the venue chatting on the phone with a dear friend and when he sees me passing by, he comes out to say "hi."  (Maybe that's just my perception).  I went in, the music was great; crowd terrific and we sat for two hours talking life, philosophy, and of course, diet.

And I find, two of Columbus' music icons have died recently.  I see another who seems to have early stages of Parkinson's disease...a wonderful guitarist and I am brokenhearted at the impacts of sometimes seeing the world from my eyes.

And I realize how fragile life is.

Do what makes you happy.  Be love.  Don't worry about the rest.

No comments: