April 26, 2008

Milestone

A milestone of sorts...noted while traveling along the road between Columbus and Cincinnati.

My dear friend Jack often talks about the concept of "pain body" (in contrast to "joy body"). It is a concept that resonates deeply with me, particularly with the life and death of Michael. And as I was driving those frequently traveled miles, April 25th, on a gorgeous spring day, I noted it had been six months.

Six months since I released Michael finally from that pain body that eventually took his life. Six months since my mother, my uncle and I, along with Paul the funeral director, went to the crematory and watched the shell of Michael's former existence enter the furnace. Six months since the pain body was incinerated. Six months  and a day since his last birthday.

Yes, Michael was cremated on his birthday.

It was the last birthday gift I had the honor to give him.

No comments: